A Free, Pre-Professional High School apprentice program for Students Grades 9-12
The theatrewings program is NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONs FOR THE 2021-2022 SEASON.
Why Do TheatreWings?
Charleston Stage TheatreWings High School Apprentice Program is designed to allow talented young people the opportunity to work directly with theatre professionals and gain first-hand experience in professional theatrical production. Students are given a sense of professionalism; the ability to follow through on commitments, plan time wisely and meet deadlines. As a result of their participation in the program, a number of TheatreWings apprentices have gone on to successful careers in various areas of theatre and have continued to pursue their interest and hone the valuable skills instilled through the program. This program is completely tuition free for eligible candidates.
Applications for the 2021-22 Season are now being accepted! Application forms can be found here.
The mission of the Charleston Stage TheatreWings program is to provide local high school students with college/career training in the collaborative learning environment of theatre. TheatreWings students will work directly with theatre professionals and gain first-hand experience in professional theatrical preparation and production. Students will be given a sense of professionalism by demonstrating the ability to follow through on commitments, plan time wisely, and meet deadlines.
The vision for Charleston Stage's TheatreWings program is to be the leading high school theatre training program in Charleston and South Carolina, engaging Lowcountry high school students through high quality theatre education, with top of the line artists, facilities, and educators.
Our Values include:
• Interact with other talented young people from different schools and communities.
• Work closely with Charleston Stage professional actors and production staff.
• Receive hands-on-training comparable to many college-level programs in performance (acting, singing, dancing), set/costume design, props, theatrical painting, lighting, sound design/production, and stage management.
• Obtain professional theatrical experience working backstage for season shows.
• Get free tickets to Charleston Stage Company productions.
• Acquire community service credits and/or school-to-career credits.
• Have the opportunity to request letters of recommendation for college applications.
• Work in the Dock Street Theatre, Charleston's most historic and beautiful theatre venue.
• Work on special topic/project opportunities.
• 9th-12th grade student with a B average or higher.
• Personal interview with program leaders.
• Teacher recommendation.
• Attend Weekly Classes in his/her specific Concentration (Roughly 50-60 hours of class time).
• Serve on AT LEAST one stage crew for the 2020-21 season (Roughly 50-65 hours of rehearsal and performance).
• Volunteer at least once in the Scene or Costume shops.
• Attend AT LEAST 3 of the following TheatreWings functions in the season
- Wings Craft Night: Backstage Apron Kit
- Wings Performance Night: Blithe Spirit Final Dress
- Wings Movie Night
- New Year's Welcome Back Night
- Wings Performance Night - Black Pearl Sings! Final Dress
- Design Expo and End of Year Party
Our Costume Shop is located at 1610 Sam Rittenberg Blvd., Suite 202 (A) in West Ashley. Our Scene Shop is located at 1610 Sam Rittenberg Blvd., Suite 104. The rehearsal space is our West Ashley Theatre Center at 1401 Sam Rittenberg Blvd., and performances are at the Dock Street Theatre at 135 Church Street in beautiful, historic downtown Charleston.