What is the best way to find out more about the program?
Who is qualified to be in the TheatreWings Apprentice Program?
Any student currently enrolled in High School and maintaining a B or higher average that has an interest in Theatre is qualified to apply for the program.
What is the application process?
Application Forms can be found HERE.
What will be required of a TheatreWings Apprentice?
• Weekly classes in one of the following concentrations:
- Stage Management
- Set and Props Design/Production
- Costume Design/Production
- Sound Design/Production
• Production experience on at least one show each season as a run crew member, dresser, stage manager, assistant stage manager, sound technician.
• Outings and social gatherings.
Is the TheatreWings Apprentice Program a summer program?
No, it is a year round program with summer performance opportunities and training camps. We prefer to have students start the program as freshmen and stay with the program for 4 years to gain the most experience and knowledge.
How much time will TheatreWings Apprentices be expected to spend working for Charleston Stage during a year?
• Apprentices will be expected to attend class one afternoon most weeks from 4:30pm until 6:00pm from early September through late April putting in roughly 50-60 hours of class work each year.
• Apprentices are expected to serve on at least one run crew each season. This commitment includes attendance at all technical and dress rehearsals at the theatre and all performances of each show. This is typically a three to five week commitment for each show. Each apprentice is also expected to attend the strike (when scenery is taken down and moved to our scene shop) for their assigned production.
What about safety working as an TheatreWings Apprentice?
As in all situations, working in a scene shop or backstage at a theatre can present safety and health concerns. Apprentices will be using power tools ONLY AFTER receiving proper training. The shops and theatre are filled with dust and pollen, which can aggravate allergies. Students should take proper precautions if this is an issue. Apprentices will be expected to wear appropriate footwear (no sandals, bare feet, or open toed shoes) to avoid injury. Apprentices will be required to wear appropriate work clothing at all times and inappropriate attire is decided upon by the staff. During the course of a day, Apprentices may be exposed to various paint products, cleaning supplies and adhesives. Precautions will be taken by the staff to ensure the safety of all Apprentices.
Will TheatreWings Apprentices have to provide anything?
Each apprentice is required to bring a notebook and writing utensils with them to all TheatreWings crews and events. All students must acquire their own crew clothes that meet the requirements to work backstage and each student must wear this attire to all technical rehearsals and performances.
Is there a cost or fee for the program?
No, the TheatreWings High School Apprentice Program is free for all participating students. This is made possible by grants from the Charleston County School Systems and by contributions from parents of current and former students. If you would like to help fund the program, please contact Charleston Stage at 843.856.5316.
How do I find out more about Charleston Stage's TheatreWings High School Apprentice Program?